Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I know that I am a good dad. That may seem a bit arrogant, but I really think that this is true. I love my kids, I have a great time being with them. We watched Paul Blart, Mall Cop this afternoon, as that is one thing the family got me for father's day.

I know that I have taught them things by my example. Some good, and some not so good. The case in point for the latter happened while we were watching the movie. Josh was drinking an A&W root beer from a can. When it was empty, he chucked it over his shoulder and behind the couch. He punctuated his accomplishment with a rich, throaty burp.

THAT is my son!

I failed the "concerned parent" reaction after it happened, as I was laughing so hard that I started choking. I am in trouble for that, but I am what I am. Who figured I could work in an obscure "Popeye" reference.

I may not be what some would consider a perfect father, but I am a REAL dad. Warts and all. Well, skin tags mostly, but warts in a more figurative sense.

Scott, Katie and I played Bananagrams today. Scott started by saying that he has never lost a round of Bananagrams. Well, he did lose, TO ME! TWICE! He disputes it, which I expected, due to a controversial word I used. No profanity, just Rainier. It is a proper name, which excludes it from being used, but I fight dirty. If I can't cut you open with a multi-syllabic, I'll reach into my vast vocabulary and get you where it hurts. Here's a quick flurry! A, an, the, this, that, these, those, each, every, several, some, my, your, his, her, its, our, their....AND ALL NUMBERS!

Life isn't a fair fight, and that is what I am trying to teach my kids. I actually don't teach that, but it seems to fit with this post. I just know they like to spend time with me and I am trying not to mess them up too bad. I love my kids and they love me. That is good enough for me!

I have the flu. That's all the detail needed for that...

Jason

No comments: