Saturday, June 27, 2009

Weekend Update

It's been a busy week leading up to Scott's graduation. It was last night and was really great to see and be a part of.

Scott's girlfriend Kelsey has been here for a few days with him and is a really nice girl. Scott's dad Byron and step mom Inger were here, as well as Kathy's dad, my parents and siblings from both sides. I think we represented and supported him quite well, and although we weren't the loudest cheering section, we were there.

I was honestly amazed by him. He looked very distinguished in his cap and gown, with the added bling bling of the valedictorian sash. If he was nervous when he spoke, I couldn't tell, because he spoke with conviction and what I can safely describe as power. It is so strange to see him looking all grown up when I remember him as the little two year old with the bowl cut that he was when I first met him. I do feel very lucky to be a part of his life and I am glad that he calls me Dad.

I am having a difficult time with the fact that he will be leaving for Virginia in a couple of months. The time will fly, as summer always does, so I hope we have some time to spend together before he goes. I really enjoy listening to his music with him and seeing what bands he has found. That boy will excel in his life and I am excited to see where his journey takes him. I have watched him grow and mature a great deal in a short time. The only thing I have to do to see that is look at pictures and it is surreal how drastically he has changed physically over the past few years.

His intellectual maturity is quite something. As he grows, he sees his parents differently. I hope that he doesn't consider me a doofus, but that is my own insecurity talking. I know I have faults and I am trying to be accountable for them.

Seeing him with Kelsey is really cute. I can tell they adore each other and it is really fun to watch them together. I have kept my mouth shut, for the most part, while she has been here and haven't said anything stupid.

One side note that I need to mention before I go is that public displays of affection should NEVER take place, ANYWHERE! I have seen them at church, at school, and the most obvious was last night at Scott's graduation. A very muscular fellow was sitting in the bleachers and was joined by his very pregnant, tanned, rail thin wife. She sat on the seat below him and leaned against him, which in itself shouldn't be construed as an inappropriate PDA. What was disturbing was seeing him repeatedly cup her breasts with his hands. She in turn massaged his hands while he was assisting her brassiere, so to speak. I will end the description there, but wonder if the the conception of the pregnancy occured at another public event somewhere, like a parent teacher interview or church pot luck supper.

Affection in a marriage is good, but not in front of others....

1 comment:

Kathy B. said...

It was a great night! And, you are right...the pda's made concentrating a little difficult:)