Friday, April 17, 2009

Hawaii


I can freely admit that I am obsessed with going back to Hawaii. So much so that I dream about returning or being there at least twice a week. I do find it somewhat unsettling at times, but I guess I have been desperate to recapture the feeling of being absolutely stress free and truly at peace.

For me there was more than just the beautiful scenery and cool snorkeling. The reason we went was to see my Dad perform songs he had performed in Samoa as a missionary. When he was in Samoa he travelled with three other missionaries around the islands performing songs they had written, as well as other traditional favorites. Dad toured with them until he became extremely ill and couldn't continue. He was replaced by another elder until the tour was finished.

The surviving members of the group had planned some concerts around Oahu that was attended by members of the Samoan community living in Hawaii. I was lucky enough to go to 2 shows while we were there. It was amazing to see my Dad singing in Samoan and even more amazing to see how the Samoans reacted to the songs. One song Dad had a hand in writing is entitled Masi Samoa, which is still very popular in Samoa 45 years later.

Dad had always taught me about how wonderful and kind the Samoan people are. My first missionary companion was a Samoan elder named Fagatoele Seumanutusa. He had great faith that seemed almost second nature to him, and was a good example to me. Before that I became friends in the MTC with a couple of Samoan elders I met and had the experience of playing volleyball with them. I learned NEVER to try and return a spiked ball by trying to set the ball with my fingers in front of my face. The ball blasted through my fingers and changed direction only after flattening my nose and lips. They are powerful and strong people. I also have learned never to make them angry.

When I went to the first concert Dad and the other Eldares ( as they called themselves) were setting up for the show. I was sitting by the wives of two men in the group that I didn't know very well. I felt alone, as Kathy didn't come because she felt ill, and it was odd to feel that way.
It didn't last very long until a man named Tua came over and sat beside me. He took care of me the rest of the night and made sure I wasn't by myself. He showed me a book from Dad's mission, and best of all kept giving me different Samoan desserts to try when the show was over. He introduced me to his wife Rocketi. She is named that because she was born during one of the Apollo moon landings. Kathy and I saw him at one of the swimming lagoons at the Ko Olina resort a couple of days later with his family. I was able to introduce her to them. What floored me is that after we left to come home he gave Dad a bunch of gifts to give our family. He wrote a really nice note and called me his "Canadian brother". What is amazing is that I can still feel a real bond with him.

We were able to go to a Samoan ward to church on the Sunday we were there. It still remains one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. The Samoans hold missionaries in very high regard. We were given leis when we got there and were given the chance to speak. One of my favorite things is to hear them sing. They sing loud and in all four parts. I couldn't understand a word they were singing, but I could sure feel it. I was able to speak for a couple of minutes and greeted them with "Talofa, brothers and sisters". Talofa means hello. It is tradition for the congregation to repeat "Talofa" back. When I heard that I couldn't speak for a while. I had always wanted to hear that, as my Dad had described it when I was young.

When the meeting was over, the congregation stood and all came to the stand to give us a hug and to thank us for being there. I was overwhelmed by their kindness and still am. I didn't want to leave the church that day and didn't want to leave Hawaii because I loved the feeling of being with the Samoan people. It may sound cliche', but that experience changed me forever. I hope that at some time in this life or the next that I can work with them as a missionary in Samoa or wherever else.

Being with them felt as much like being in heaven as I can imagine. If I make it there, I hope they put me with the Samoans. I'm sure the food and music will be really good.

Goodnight...

1 comment:

Kathy B. said...

Thanks for reminding me of that awesome experience!! Love you.