Monday, April 27, 2009

Automotive Archeology




After climbing around this truck, most sensible people would probably need a tetanus shot. The only thing I have been infected with is inspiration. Inspiration of this nature is a close cousin to delusion, but for me this truck is beautiful.

When I was in high school, my first vehicle was a 1968 Fargo short box fleet side truck that was built by Tyler Higgins and his dad in Cardston. I bought it when I was in grade 12 from Central Service where it had been traded in. I loved that truck. It had a 383 big block and a ratchet shifted automatic. It was all engine and had crappy brakes. I sold it when I went on my mission to Randy Blackmore, but bought it back after Kathy and I got married. I sold it for the last time when we lived in Olds, because I was a starving student and needed the money.

I don't know where that truck is now, but have always wanted another short box Sweptline (as Dodge named this bodystyle) truck. I acquired this one in a trade for my Fury convertible. Not straight across, mind you. I also have the 2001 Chevy Silverado in the upper photo. That will be my practical, fuel efficient, kid friendly daily driver.

I am really excited about the Dodge. It has been sitting since the early 70's and has been used to store items in, on and around as is evident by the photo. The truck has 56,000 miles, a 225 slant six backed by a 4 speed and is rust free. Dodges of that vintage were prone to alot of rust in the doors and rocker panels, so finding one in this condition is rare. All the pieces are there. The truck was hit in the front end and parked. There is a new rad support and fenders that aren't shown which are also really straight.

My first task is to extricate it from its resting place, which includes cutting down a tree and moving a bunch of parts, but I love doing stuff like this.

I will keep the slant six, but would eventually like to put a four barrel manifold on it with headers and cherry bomb mufflers. Slant sixes have always got really good fuel mileage, but are a cool engine to build as a performance platform.

I have also included a picture of what the 67's look like when they are done.

I have to be to work early tomorrow, so I need to go to bed...

1 comment:

LordStanley said...

Not expecting anything too soon, but be sure to post pics as the "rebuild" progresses.